Administrative Procedure 420
AP 420.3 - Role of the Educational Assistant
The Educational Assistant, an integral member of the student's educational team, will work under the direct supervision of the Principal and is directed by the classroom teacher and/or learning support teacher. The Educational Assistant’s specific responsibilities will be identified, using this list as a guide, by the Principal based on student needs.
The Educational Assistant is directly responsible and accountable to the Principal.
A. Fostering Effective Relationships
- The educational assistant communicates effectively to ensure strong relationships with all stakeholders by:
- Demonstrating a positive attitude towards their role;
- Building positive relationships; and
- Working cooperatively with others.
B. Supporting School Operations
- Assists the principal in the organization and management of the human, physical and financial resources of the school by:
- Monitoring student behavior and task performance through documentation and communication with teacher;
- Carrying out recommendations of teachers and other professionals as approved in the individual program plan;
- Communicating to the teacher situational factors which may affect the instructional program of the student(s);
- Working independently, organizing and using time effectively while maintaining flexibility;
- Working within the procedures and processes of the jurisdiction;
- Participating in school and classroom routines and procedures as directed; and
- Participating in supervision as required.
C. Supporting the Learning Community
- Supports the school authority’s policies and processes as they align with provincial legislation and regulations by:
- Maintaining confidentiality;
- Recognizing the teacher’s responsibility to plan instructional activities for all students and to communicate with parents;
- Assisting students in achieving their learning goals (individually or in small groups) as identified in the individual program plan;
- Conducting oneself in a professional and ethical manner;
- Demonstrating punctuality;
- Showing initiative;
- Demonstrating the ability to take and follow direction; and
- Continuing to improve his/her effectiveness, expertise and job related skills.
Sections 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117 School Act
Employment Standards Code
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Labour Relations Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act
AP 430 - Non-Certificated Staff
AP 431 - Non-Certificated Staff Growth, Supervision and Evaluation