AP 451.3 - Role of Director of Learning (Technology, Career and Academic Counsellors, Library, Division Professional Learning, Second Languages, International Students
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Director of Learning will assist the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Director of Learning is directly responsible and accountable to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
The Director of Learning will have specific responsibilities for:
- Student Learning
- Within areas of responsibility, ensures all students in the Division have the opportunity to meet the standards of education set by the Minister.
- Liaises with Alberta Education and other educational partners to ensure appropriate program development and implementation.
- Within areas of responsibility, fosters conditions which promote the improvement of educational opportunities for all students.
- Provides leadership and support for initiatives in areas of responsibility.
- Provides leadership for online/off-site/locally-developed teacher resources.
- Provides support to ensure accountability for program delivery in areas of responsibility including second languages.
- Provides support through participation in the school review process.
- In consultation with the Associate Superintendent (Education Services – Pat Rivard), coordinates the programming for International Students.
- Student Wellness
- Provides support to ensure that each student is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Within areas of responsibility, develops and maintains positive and effective relations with provincial government departments and regional/community agencies which provide services/supports to students.
- Provides leadership in Career & Academic counseling services in order to meet student needs.
- Human Resources Management
- Provides for the training and support of school administrators and teachers related to technology-infused instructional strategies.
- Provides for the training of support staff in required areas of responsibility, including library services.
- Ensures the development of job descriptions within areas of responsibility.
- Provides support, as requested, to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in matters related to staffing, evaluation, certification and contractual recommendations within areas of responsibility.
- Collaborates with the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) regarding the hiring, transfer and staffing levels.
- In collaboration with the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources), provides supervisory expertise to principals.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Makes recommendations to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) regarding staff allocation, within areas of responsibility, to include in the Division budget.
- Develops departmental budgets in areas of responsibility within the parameters and constraints of the Division budget.
- Ensures the proper fiscal management of budget allocations.
- In conjunction with the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources), investigates grant opportunities and partnerships within the areas of responsibility.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Technology Services Leadership
- Provides support on all matters related to Division technology directions.
- Provides support for the effective use of technology to maximize student learning.
- Supports the professional development of Division staff relative to the use of technology.
- Ensures that an education-centered approach to technology is developed and maintained throughout the Division.
- Ensures that technical support maintains a focus on service.
- Manages contracted and alternative technology services.
- Provides support to ensure that ongoing technology infrastructure facilitates student learning in an inclusive environment according to the Division goals.
- Professional Development
- Provides the framework and implements Division-wide collaboration opportunities.
- Provides support to principals and school-based staff for workshops to support school goals.
- Provides support to Division personnel for workshops in support of department goals.
- Develops and maintains positive and effective relationships with provincial government departments and regional agencies.
- Administrative Procedures
- Participates in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal, Ministerial and Board mandates and timelines, and adherence to Superintendent Directives.
- Contributes to a Division culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Participates in the development of the Three-Year Education Plan/Annual Education Results Report.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open and transparent internal and external communications are developed and maintained in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures students, parents and staff have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided within the areas of responsibility and with the responsiveness of the departments.
- Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board’s roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides the information which the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) requires to perform his role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he works in carrying out the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
Sections 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117 School Act
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act