Administrative Procedure 454
AP 454.2.1 - Role of Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator will assist the Facility Services Supervisor in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in provincial statute, Alberta Education documents and Board policy.
The Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator is directly responsible and accountable to the Facility Services Supervisor.
The Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator will have specific responsibilities for:
- Occupational Health and Safety Leadership
- Develops for the approval of the Facility Services Supervisor, and then implements an effective safety, hazard control and industrial hygiene program.
- Conducts or provides for employee safety training.
- Performs detailed technical safety, hazard and environmental research.
- Coordinates and consults with Associate Superintendents, Directors, Supervisors and principals regarding health and safety issues in their respective areas.
- Works with site safety committees to implement approved internal safety rules, guidelines and procedures.
- Administers, compiles, analyzes and interprets incident, injury and lost time statistics and cost data reports for site safety committees.
- Maintains currency in knowledge and skills required for the position.
- Occupational Health and Safety Management
- Inspects Division facilities and work sites observing operations and activities, and investigates health and safety concerns.
- Analyses, or causes to be analyzed, hazards and situations, and develops risk assessments for public and non-public areas.
- Notifies appropriate persons regarding substandard practices and substandard conditions relating to safety and safe work practices; makes recommendations for corrections and follows up to ensure remedial action has been taken.
- Reviews incidents and makes recommendations for future prevention.
- Ensures preparation, or monitors and approves preparation, of all Division safety documents.
- Staff and Student Wellness
- Provides functional direction to ensure that the physical environment is safe and conducive for staff and students.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Makes recommendations for Safety Program funding allocations.
- Makes recommendations to the Facility Services Supervisor regarding possible actions to increase the effective and efficient operation of the Safety Program.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Administrative Procedures
- Participates in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Ensures progressive Division compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations and Code.
- Ensures progressive Division compliance with all safety regulations regarding hazardous substance handling and disposal.
- Handles emergencies and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented fashion.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open and transparent internal and external communications are developed and maintained in areas of responsibility.
- Reports directly to the Facility Services Supervisor relating to Safety Program development.
- Confers with specialists, external consultants and government personnel to obtain information and resolve disputes.
- Facility Services Supervisor Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Facility Services Supervisor.
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board's roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides the information the Facility Services Supervisor requires to perform his role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he works in carrying out the Facility Services Supervisor’s expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
Sections 60, 61, 113, 117 School Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Funding Manual for School Authorities