Administrative Procedure 453
AP 453.3 -Role of Director of Learning (Adam Browning)
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Director of Learning will assist the Associate Superintendent (Education Services) in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Director of Learning is directly responsible and accountable to the Associate Superintendent (Education Services).
The Director of Learning will have specific responsibilities for:
- Student Learning
- Provides support to ensure students in the Calgary Islamic Schools have the opportunity to meet the standards of education set by the Minister.
- Provides support to ensure accountability for achievement of approved learning outcomes in Calgary Islamic Schools.
- Provides support to foster conditions which promote the improvement of educational opportunities for students in Calgary Islamic Schools.
- Provides leadership in the effective implementation of curriculum within the Division.
- Provides leadership in the development of effective First Nations, Métis and Inuit programming, including wellness grant application.
- Provides leadership in the development of effective English as a Second Language (ESL) programming within the Division.
- Supports the implementation of the school review process.
- Supports the implementation of the school goals process.
- Supports literacy initiatives within the Division.
- Student Wellness
- Provides support to ensure that each student is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Human Resources Management
- Provides leadership in the effective design and implementation of “Collaborative Days” for staff professional development.
- Provides leadership in matters related to staff professional development for Islamic/Arabic instructors.
- Provides support, as requested, to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in matters related to staffing, evaluations, certification and contractual recommendations within areas of responsibility.
- Collaborates with the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) regarding the hiring, transfer and staffing levels within areas of responsibility.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Develops budgets in areas of responsibility within the parameters and constraints of the Division budget.
- Ensures the proper fiscal management of budget allocations.
- Makes recommendations to the Superintendent regarding possible actions to increase the effective and efficient operations of programs within areas of responsibility.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Treasurer, investigates grant opportunities and partnerships.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Participates in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal and Board mandates and timelines and adherence to Superintendent directives.
- Contributes to a Division culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal and external communications are developed and maintained in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures students, parents and staff have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided within areas of responsibility.
- Associate Superintendent Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Associate Superintendent (Education Services).
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board’s roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides information the Associate Superintendent (Education Services) requires to perform his role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he works in carrying out the Associate Superintendent’s expectations, ensuring that such duties do not include teaching functions.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
Reference: Sections 45, 45.1, 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117 School Act