Administrative Procedure 440
AP 440 - Substitute Teachers
In order to provide a continuous, well-directed educational program for students, the division approves the hiring of the best-available substitute teachers in the absence of the contracted classroom teacher. The following procedures govern their employment and conduct.
- The deployment of substitute teachers within a particular school is the responsibility of the school principal.
- Substitute teachers shall be paid in accordance with the prevailing collective agreement between the ATA and the division.
- The Human Resources department will hire, create and maintain a list of approved substitute teachers. This list will be updated continually. Schools may only contact substitute teachers on the approved list. All potential substitute teachers will apply to be added to the approved list through the Career Opportunities page on the Palliser Regional Schools web site and will be interviewed by Human Resources personnel prior to being added to the list.
- Substitute teachers should familiarize themselves with the curriculum for the various grade levels for which they seek employment.
- Substitute teachers are expected to fit into the organization of the school when they arrive and to continue the work and activities which they find in progress. This may include the marking of examinations, the issuing of report cards and the preparation of monthly and annual reports.
- Teachers employed as substitute teachers must conform as closely as possible to the established routine and culture of the school and perform such extra duties as normally performed by the classroom teacher or as directed by the principal.
- Although the disciplinary problems faced by substitute teachers may be more difficult than those encountered by contracted teachers, it is expected that substitute teachers will exercise firm control while ensuring the dignity of the students at all times.
- Substitute teachers are expected to adhere to the same standards of professional conduct as contracted teachers, including conforming to the Ministerial Order on the Teaching Quality Standard and the Code of Ethics of the Alberta Teachers' Association.
- Substitute teachers are responsible to maintain their personal preferences and manage their availability using the Human Resources employee management online program. It is up to the substitute teacher to properly accept or deny requests using this online program as prescribed in its training documents.
- The process for contacting substitute teachers will be at the discretion of the school principal; however, only substitute teachers on the approved list distributed by Central Office will be contacted.
- The principal will be notified by the absent teacher prior to school start when a substitute teacher will be attending at their school.
- Files on all substitute teachers will be maintained by the Human Resources department at Central Office. Substitute teachers are required to file copies of credentials in the same manner as certificated staff employed by Palliser Regional Schools. This includes, but is not limited to, a Criminal Record Check, a copy of your Alberta Teaching Certificate, a copy of your Teaching Qualification Services Statement of Qualifications and Record of Teaching Experience (where applicable), a signed Staff Access to Networked Information Services form, and a signed Confidentiality Agreement.
School Act, Section 100