AP 140- Responsible Use of Electronic Information Resources
The Board recognizes employees will incorporate and utilize electronic information resources in their teaching and work. The Board believes in the educational value of such electronic services and their potential in creating success for all learners by enabling global communication, sharing of resources, collaboration and innovation. As such, the Board expects that all employees will continue to learn and expand the appropriate and responsible use of electronic information resources in the performance of their duties. Furthermore, staff are expected to use electronic information resources in a manner that supports a safe and caring learning environment while building character and developing responsible citizens. The division expects that electronic information resources will be used by all to enhance and support teaching and learning and such use will be conducted in an ethical, moral and responsible manner consistent with the stated mission, mandate, vision, beliefs and values of the division.
In this Administrative Procedure:
- “Electronic Information Resources” are any electronic assets, systems, data, networks, GAFE etc.
- “GAFE” is the Palliser domain of Google Apps For Education
- “Palliser Electronic Assets” are any electronic information resources owned or licensed to Palliser Regional school.
- “Hacking” is any willful activity that affects or attempts to affect the integrity availability and confidentiality of any Electronic Information Resources.
- “Network” refers to the physical infrastructure as well as all other devices (servers, switches, routers, hubs, printers etc.) connected to it.
- “Inappropriate Electronic Material” includes but is not limited to:
- Any vulgar or lewd depiction or description of the human body
- Any material that has been publicly labelled as being strictly for adults.
- Graphic description or depiction of violent acts, including murder, rape, mutilation, torture or serious injury except for material used in an approved educational context.
- Any description of any sexual act which is not part of an approved program of study used within an educational context.
- Material encouraging the use of illicit or illegal drugs, tobacco or alcohol, except for material used in an educational context.
- Online Gambling services
- Crude, obscene or vulgar language, gestures or pictures.
- Material or information that advocates violence against, denigrates or exposes a person or class of persons to hatred or contempt because of race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income or family status, including historical inaccurate information that vilifies the person or class of person.
- Electronic materials used for harassment as outlined in AP 171.
- Possession and/or distribution of unlicensed copyrighted material including materials that are bootlegged, illegally purchased or downloaded.
Information on the carrying the carrying out of criminal acts including bomb making, computer hacking or lock picking.
- Palliser Regional Schools Electronic Resources shall be used in a manner consistent with the mission and mandate of Palliser Regional Schools.
- Palliser Regional Schools assets are the property of Palliser Regional Schools and activities involving division technology will, as much as possible, protect the privacy of personal information of all users and the personal safety of students. Authorised personnel where appropriate may, audit, search, or take corrective action as part of their assigned duties
- The creation and management of Palliser GAFE accounts. GAFE is intended as a form of communication and collaboration to be used within an educational context. All Palliser GAFE users are required to conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner in their use of GAFE.
- Creation of account: Once a student registers with a Palliser school a Palliser GAFE account will be created and the appropriate user agreement will be provided to the student and parent for signature. Once an employee is hired and completes the required user agreement a Palliser Gafe account will be created. This account will include a palliser e-mail account. The Palliser e-mail is used by the school division to communicate information to staff on a regular basis and as such employees are expected to manage this e-mail account responsibly.
- Use of account: When an individual leaves Palliser Regional Schools the GAFE account will remain active for a period of ninety days. They will be removed from all Palliser generated email groups. During this time, said individual will have full access to their account. At the end of the ninety day period the account will be suspended.
- Suspension of account: Palliser Regional Schools reserves the right to temporarily suspend a user account at any time.
- Deletion of account:
- All information stored in student accounts will be deleted 11 years after the students ceases being a student registered within Palliser Regional Schools.
- All information stored in staff accounts will be deleted 11 years after the employee ceases employment with Palliser Regional Schools.
- This time period can be extended when indicated by the Superintendent or delegate.
- Users of Palliser Regional Schools Electronic Information Resources are responsible for:
- Accessing only those resources for which they have been authorised
- Not accessing resources for others, or ask others to access resources on their behalf, where authorization does not exist.
- Ensuring that passwords are kept private and secure.
- Ensuring that the network is used for educational purposes or to carry out assigned duties.
- Taking precautions that are consistent with the sensitivity in maintaining the privacy of data that is under their custody.
- Ensuring that inappropriate electronic material is not accessed stored or distributed.
- Ensuring that security systems are not intentionally bypassed and evidence of inappropriate activities are not deleted.
- Not carrying out hacking or illegal activities.
- While using any Electronic Resources the user shall:
- Use ethical and respectful behaviour when e-mailing or posting material.
- Refrain from posting confidential, personal or sensitive information pertaining to themselves or other persons, including but not limited to family members, teachers, colleagues, students or friends.
- Respect copyright, intellectual property and fair dealing in the use of content.
- Ensure postings or communications are professional, in good taste and do not reflect negatively on Palliser Regional Schools, its students, teachers, staff, trustees or other stakeholders.
- The Principal of each school site may develop local procedures which will require approval from the Director of Learning responsible for Technology. The local procedures may provide more specific direction regarding the use of Electronic Information Resources in the context of the local school site environment. The school site procedures shall be provided to students, school council and system administrators. These procedures may include provisions for:
- The development of a school Digital Citizenship policy and informing all staff, students and parents of said policy.
- Informing all parents of the rules for the use of Electronic Information Resource.
- Parents be given the opportunity to view the use of proposed Electronic Information Resources
- Parents to receive an overview of how these resources will be used to support or replace existing instructional practices.
- Parents and students be given the opportunity to provide feedback on the use of proposed Electronic Information Resources
- Instructions which identify the return procedures for signed permission/consent forms.
- Any violation of this procedure,or the principles or expectations outlined in it may result in:
- Loss of access privileges
- Termination of volunteer position, consulting or contracts
- Student disciplinary measures under AP 351
- Disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal
- Legal action, including actions taken by Palliser Regional Schools, by persons unrelated to Palliser Regional Schools
- Referral for criminal prosecution
Criminal Code of Canada, Section 264
Canadian Human Rights Act, Section 1, 2, 3, 14, 15
School Act, Section 1, 12, 60, 61
Palliser Regional Schools Administrative Procedure 171
Palliser Regional Schools Administrative Procedure 351
Access to Networked Information Services
Information Technology Parent Consent Form for Grades K-3 Students
Information Technology User Agreement/Permission Form for Grades 4-12 Students
Student Owned Device User Agreement: Student Declaration & Parent Endorsement