Administrative Procedure 211
AP 211 - English as a Second Language (ESL)
The division will provide educational programs for students who have recently arrived in Canada and Alberta resident students who require special assistance in learning English as a second language (ESL) in order to follow classroom instruction in English.
- ESL refers to the program offered with a school site.
- ELL (English Language Learners) refers to the students themselves. Students who are English Language Learners (ELL) are defined as those who have recently arrived in Canada and Alberta resident students whose proficiency in English is not commensurate with their age and/or abilities, as English is not their first language.
- Each principal will code ELL students on the student information system for transmitting to Alberta Education.
- Each school will develop a program plan for ELL students which will:
- Encourage rapid integration of the student(s) into the school and community environment; and
- Give attention to the linguistic, cultural and academic needs of the students.
- ESL programs may be developed for students who do not speak English when entering division schools even though they do not qualify under the Alberta Education definition of ESL (for grant purposes).
- ESL programs will be provided in accordance with Alberta Education's Program of Studies and appropriate ESL curricular documents.
- The Alberta Education K-12 ESL Proficiency Benchmarks may be used as a resource for planning ESL programs.
School Act, Section 8, 9
Policy 1.5.1 English as a Second Language
Alberta Education K-12 ESL Proficiency Benchmarks (2009)
Forms: English as a Second Language (ESL) Profile
ESL Student Services Programming Information
Language Activities/Strategies for ESL Students