AP 326 - Student Custody Disputes
The following administrative procedures have been established where the legal custody of a child is questioned by a parent or guardian.
The principal or designate shall:
- Inform the claimant that custody shall remain in the school until the child has left the school property.
- Indicate that the parent or the guardian will be notified of the custody request.
- Ensure that both parties are informed that the child will be released only at the end of classes for the morning or afternoon and that the custody dispute is between the respective parents or guardians and does not involve the school.
- Contact local police or Child Welfare personnel if concern for the safety of the child is in question.
- Contact the Superintendent or designate to record details of the demand for custody.
School Act, Section 60