AP 406 - Secondment Leave
Secondment leaves provide an opportunity for teachers and administrators to gain personal and professional growth and enrichment.
- Secondment leaves may be provided for teachers and administrators to participate in educational research, enrichment and leadership training, and related employment in other institutions.
- Secondment leaves shall not exceed one (1) year and shall normally be taken between September 1 and August 31.
- Applicants wishing a secondment leave must apply to the Superintendent a minimum of sixty (60) teaching days prior to the effective date of the secondment.
- A teacher’s application for secondment leave should include a statement of support and/or recommendation from the principal of the school to which the teacher has been assigned. The application must provide detailed information regarding the plans for the leave.
- To be eligible for secondment leave, the teacher/administrator must have been employed by the division for a minimum of five (5) years.
- The Superintendent will review the application and make a decision based on:
- Individual need;
- Benefit of the leave to the division;
- Effect of granting the leave on the instructional program; and
- Length of service with the division.
- Approved secondment leaves shall normally be at no financial cost to the division.
- A teacher/administrator that has been granted a secondment leave will be required to enter into a written agreement outlining the conditions of the leave. The agreement will be authorized and signed by the Superintendent.
School Act, Section 60
Cross Reference: Policy 12 – Role of the Superintendent/CEO