Administrative Procedure 411
AP 411 - Teacher Growth, Supervision and Evaluation - Appendix B
Roles and Responsibilities
The principal, or designate, will be responsible for the ongoing supervision of teachers.
Each teacher has a professional responsibility to be an active participant in the supervision process and to work in a collaborative manner with the administration.
- Supervision of teachers will include:
- Providing support and guidance to teachers, including assisting teachers to become familiar with the professional responsibilities as outlined in the Teaching Quality Standard;
- Observing and receiving information from any source about the quality of instruction a teacher provides to students; and
- Identifying the behaviours or practices of a teacher that:
- Are deserving of recognition; or
- Might indicate the need for evaluation.
- The principal will participate in supervision through:
- Communicating regularly with teachers;
- Ensuring that the teacher’s annual Professional Growth Plan is reviewed and received;
- Visiting the teacher’s classroom for frequent informal observations of instruction;
- Gathering information regarding:
- The manner in which a teacher interacts with students, colleagues, parents and community; and
- The teacher’s participation in any aspect of school activity and alternate activities with school society agreements; and
- Coordinating collaborative colleague consultation.