Administrative Procedure 432
AP 432 - Declaration of Confidentiality: Non-Certified Staff
As a school functions as a microcosm of the society which it serves, personnel in a school typically are privy to a variety of information about students, their families and other employees. As representatives of the school, this information is often shared with personnel based upon trust and respect and with the expectation that it will be shared on a "need-to-know" basis only. If an employee does not respect the confidentiality of information with respect to students and other employees, the potential for the school to achieve its mandate is seriously eroded.
Out of respect for the preservation and enhancement of each individual's self-esteem and self-worth, it is expected that all non-certificated staff shall maintain confidentiality with respect to privileged information pertaining to students, other school employees or their families.
- All non-certificated staff shall be expected to complete a Declaration of Confidentiality Form (available at all schools) as a condition of employment.
- The Declaration of Confidentiality shall be completed by the employee and witnessed in the presence of a school official.
- The original document, once signed and witnessed, shall be forwarded to the Superintendent for placement in the employee's file.
- A copy of the original document shall be provided to the employee, while a second copy shall be retained at the school by the principal.
- The disclosure of privileged information by an employee may be considered sufficient cause for immediate dismissal.
- The responsibility for termination of any non-certificated staff member rests with the Superintendent, and such a decision would be made only after consideration of all of the circumstances of the case.
- Any non-certificated staff member so terminated may appeal the decision to the Board.
School Act, Section 60
Cross-reference: Administrative Procedure #470: Classroom Volunteers, and Volunteer Supervisors and Coaches
Forms:Declaration of Confidentiality
Declaration of Confidentiality for Substitute Non-certificated staff