Administrative Procedure 451
AP 451 - Role of Associate Superintendent (Human Resources)
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) will assist the Superintendent in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) is directly responsible and accountable to the Superintendent.
The Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) will have specific responsibilities for:
- Human Resources Leadership
- Provides for training of administrators and the development of leadership capacity within the Division as approved by the Superintendent
- Provides effective Teacher and School Administrator Induction Programs.
- Provides recommendations to the Superintendent regarding strategic workforce planning.
- Assists Division personnel with human resources processes (e.g. conflict resolution and mediation).
- In collaboration with the Secretary Treasurer, provides support to the Board’s negotiating committees.
- Ensures the effective design and implementation of a staff development plan for the Division.
- Human Resources Management
- Conducts the selection process and participates in the selection panel for all administrative positions other than that of the Superintendent.
- Recruits and hires all personnel in consultation with the direct supervisor in accordance with Superintendent direction and approved budget.
- Administers the Payroll program and ensures the program is consistent with Division values.
- Establishes the frameworks for supervision and evaluation of all personnel.
- Conducts the supervision and evaluation of school-based administrative staff, as requested by the Superintendent.
- Supervises the evaluation of school staff by, and in consultation with, principals.
- Reviews Principal Professional Growth Plans, as requested by the Superintendent.
- Administers all employment contracts in the best interests of the Division, including leaves, transfers, transitions to retirement.
- Administers the employee classification system (job descriptions, grid placements).
- Administers the Employee Assistance Program.
- Administers all personnel files.
- Within areas of responsibility, provides for legal opinions as required.
- Provides supervisory expertise to principals and Division personnel, as requested by the Superintendent.
- Technology Services Leadership
- Provides leadership on all matters related to Technology Services.
- Supports the professional development and certification requirements of Technology Services staff.
- Supports the professional development of Division staff relative to the use of technology.
- Ensures technical support is provided for all sites.
- Ensures ongoing technology infrastructure facilitates student learning in an inclusive environment.
- Ensures the accuracy of student information data.
- Student Learning
- Ensures appropriate digital delivery of programming.
- Supports implementation of the school review process.
- Supports implementation of the school goals process.
- Student Wellness
- Provides support to ensure that each student is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Makes recommendations to the Superintendent regarding staff allocations to include in the Division budget.
- Develops a department budget within the parameters and constraints of the Division budget.
- Ensures the proper fiscal management of department budget allocations.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Board policy within areas of responsibility.
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal, Ministerial and Board mandates and timelines, and adherence to Superintendent directives.
- Contributes to a Division culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies, and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Liaises with the Secretary Treasurer in matters related to student enrolment and with the Associate Superintendent (Education Services - Pat Rivard) on class size matters.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal communications (and external when required) are developed and maintained in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures staff, students, and parents have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided and with effective management and responsiveness in the Human Resources and Technology Services departments.
- Investigates, and facilitates resolution of, concerns and conflicts.
- Superintendent Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Superintendent.
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board’s roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides information which the Superintendent requires to perform his role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he works in carrying out the Superintendent’s expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
School Act, Sections 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117
Employment Standards Code
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Labour Relations Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act