AP 451.4 - Role of Manager of Human Resources
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Manager of Human Resources will assist the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Manager of Human Resources is directly responsible and accountable to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
The Manager of Human Resources will have specific responsibilities for:
- Human Resources Management
- Maintains the human resources staffing plan.
- Manages staff recruitment procedures.
- Manages the processes for all employment contracts.
- Manages the maintenance of all personnel records.
- Manages the Bellamy Software Human Resources requirements.
- Maintains the employee classification system (job descriptions).
- Manages staff evaluation processes.
- Maintains grievance database and appropriate files and documentation.
- Monitors the Employee Assistance Plan.
- Maintains Palliser staff e-mail address and e-mail group process.
- Calculates and maintains seniority lists.
- Organizes the “Staff Recognition” program.
- Manages the “graduated return to work” program.
- Maintains support staff and teacher casual lists.
- Manages the Practicum Placement process with post secondary institutions.
- Prepares and communicates decisions within areas of responsibility.
- Provides administrative support for the Lead Teacher Cohort, AIM and Teacher Induction Programs.
- Provides administrative support to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
- Participates at conferences and meetings as authorized/directed by the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
- Provides guidance to the Human Resources department staff.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Assists the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in the development of a department budget within the parameters and constraints of the Division budget.
- Manages department budget allocations.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Assists the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal and Board mandates and timelines, and adherence to Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) directives.
- Verifies Human Resources records with payroll records before each pay period and liaises with the SecretaryTreasurer as required.
- Contributes to a Division culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies, and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
- Respects and honours the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) role and responsibilities, and facilitates the implementation of that role.
- Provides information which the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) requires to perform his role in an exemplary fashion.
- Performs all related duties as may be assigned by the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he/she works in carrying out the expectations of the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
- Recognizes the sensitive nature and the impact of potential solutions on the Division and seeks input from the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) as required.
- Personal Qualifications
- Demonstrates extensive working knowledge of current established computer systems, procedures and practices.
- Demonstrates organizational abilities to plan and schedule work.
- Expresses ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Prepares formal reports and statistical analyses.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Makes reasoned decisions, commits to a course of action and accepts responsibility.
- Demonstrates willingness and the ability to face sensitive employee relations situations and takes the appropriate action.
- Exercises considerable independent action in the performance of all duties.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters pertaining to the Division and its operation.
- Commits to life-long learning and participates in meaningful professional development.
School Act, Sections 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117
Employment Standards Code
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Labour Relations Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act