AP 453 - Role of Associate Superintendent (Education Services - Pat Rivard)
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Associate Superintendent (Education Services - Pat Rivard) will assist the Superintendent in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Associate Superintendent (Education Services - Pat Rivard) is directly responsible and accountable to the Superintendent.
The Associate Superintendent (Education Services - Pat Rivard) will have specific responsibilities for:
- Student Learning
- Within areas of responsibility, ensures students in the Division have the opportunity to meet the standards of education set by the Minister.
- Within areas of responsibility, ensures accountability for achievement of approved learning outcomes in schools.
- Ensures the effective implementation of curriculum in the Division.
- Liaises with Alberta Education and other partners to provide leadership and ensure appropriate inclusive education program development and implementation.
- Provides leadership and support for the literacy initiative and other initiatives in areas of responsibility.
- Within areas of responsibility, fosters conditions which promote the improvement of educational opportunities for students in programs.
- Ensures appropriate programming is in place for Home Education students.
- Ensures appropriate programming is in place for FNMI, LGM, ESL and Early Intervention students.
- Ensures appropriate programming is in place for International students.
- Ensures accountability for program delivery at individual schools in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures effective design and implementation of the school review process.
- Ensures effective design and implementation of the school goals process.
- Student Wellness
- Within areas of responsibility, ensures that each student is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Ensures that a coordinated service delivery model is in place to support student access to programs and services.
- Develops and maintains positive and effective relations with provincial government departments and regional/community agencies which provide services/supports to students.
- Human Resources Management
- Provides support, as requested, to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in matters related to staffing, evaluations, certification and contractual recommendations within areas of responsibility.
- Collaborates with the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) regarding the hiring, transfer and staffing levels within areas of responsibility.
- Reviews Principal Professional Growth Plans, as requested by the Superintendent.
- Provides support, as requested, to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in matters related to staff professional development.
- Provides supervisory expertise to principals, as requested by the Superintendent.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Develops department budgets within the parameters and constraints of the Division budget.
- Ensures the proper fiscal management of department budget allocations.
- Makes recommendations to the Superintendent regarding possible actions to increase the effective and efficient operations of programs within areas of responsibility.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- In conjunction with the Associate Superintendent (Education Services – Stan Hielema and the Secretary Treasurer, investigates grant opportunities and partnerships.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Board policy within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures coordination of the development, review and revision processes for Administrative Procedures.
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal and Board mandates and timelines and adherence to Superintendent directives.
- Contributes to a Division culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Ensures the effective design and implementation of a school year calendar development process.
- Coordinates opportunities for Board/Hutterian Colony interactions.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal and external communications are developed and maintained in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures students, parents and staff have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided within areas of responsibility.
- Superintendent Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Superintendent.
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board’s roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides the information the Superintendent requires to perform his role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he works in carrying out the Superintendent’s expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
School Act, Sections 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117
Occupational Health and Safety Act