AP 454 - Role of the Secretary Treasurer
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Secretary Treasurer will assist the Superintendent in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Secretary Treasurer is directly responsible and accountable to the Superintendent.
The Secretary Treasurer will have specific responsibilities as/for:
- Corporate Secretary
- Ensures preparation for and notification of all Board and other public meetings.
- Ensures accuracy of recording of Board proceedings at meetings (minutes).
- Ensures the maintenance, access and protection of records in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) and Regulations.
- Provides for the interpretation of legislation affecting the operation of the Division, as directed by the Superintendent.
- Ensures all aspects of PowerSchool/FES/PASI are accurate and submitted in a timely fashion.
- Ensures public disclosure of expenses by elected and appointed officials in accordance with legislation and Board policy.Acts as, or designates, the Returning Officer for the election of trustees.
- Designs budget cycles which meet provincial requirements and provide for stakeholder input.
- Prepares the draft budget, aligned with the proposed three–year education plan and including the fall budget update, for the Superintendent’s consideration.
- Ensures the fiscal management of the Division is in accordance with the terms or conditions of any funding received.
- Ensures the operation of the Division is fiscally responsible.
- Ensures proper facilitation and completion of contracts, agreements and partnerships with outside corporations/agencies in accordance with legislation requirements.
- Acts as signing authority for all financial, land and property transactions.
- Produces financial accountability and other reports in compliance with all legal and Ministerial mandates and timelines, and Superintendent directives.
- Ensures appropriate insurance policies are in place for the Division.
- Assists school sites with preparation of budgets and the management of their financial affairs.Within areas of responsibility, provides for legal opinions as required.
- In collaboration with the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources), provides support to the Board’s negotiating committees.
- Provides student enrolment data for use by senior administration.
- Manages and tracks grants and related projects.
- Human Resources Management
- Ensures applicable job descriptions are developed and updated, and evaluation processes are implemented, for direct reports, in accordance with the procedures established by the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
- Provides input to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) with regard to the recruitment and appointment of support personnel.
- Provides support, as requested, to the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources) in matters related to professional development and certification requirements of staff.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Makes recommendations to the Superintendent regarding the administration component, excluding staff allocations, of the Division budget.
- In conjunction with the Superintendent, develops an administration budget within the parameters and constraints of the Division budget.
- In conjunction with the Superintendent and the Board, develops the annual governance budget withing the parameters and constraints of the Division budget.
- In conjunction with the Superintendent, ensures the proper fiscal management of administration budget excluding staff allocations.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner and makes appropriate reports to the Board.
- Facilitates the annual external audit and preparation of supporting documentation.
- Facility Services Leadership
- Provides leadership on all matters related to Facility Services directions.Supports the professional development and certification requirements of Facility Services staff.
- Supports the professional development of Division staff relative to the use of facilities.
- Ensures facility services are provided for all Division-owned sites.
- Ensures proper construction and modernization management is in place.
- Ensures that the ongoing maintenance of facilities takes place in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- Ensures Division compliance with the requirements of Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Ensures the management of facility services contracts.Effectively manages space at Palliser Educational Centre.
- Transportation Services Leadership
- Provides leadership on all matters related to Transportation Services directions.
- Supports the professional development of Transportation Services staff.
- Ensures transportation support services are provided for all Division-owned sites.
- Ensures the safe transport of students to and from school and on field trips through transportation provided by the Division.
- Ensures the procurement, management and maintenance of Division-owned vehicles.
- Ensures that transportation services take place in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- Ensures the effective management of shop operations.
- Provides support for Division contracted and extra-curricular transportation services.
- Develops and maintains positive and effective relations with provincial government departments/associations, neighbouring school divisions, and agencies/municipalities.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Board policy within areas of responsibility.
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal, Ministerial and Board mandates and timelines, and adherence to Superintendent directives.
- Contributes to a Division culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies, and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal and external communications are developed and maintained in his/her area of responsibility.
- Ensures staff, students and parents have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided and the responsiveness of the department.
- Superintendent Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Superintendent.
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board’s roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides the information which the Superintendent requires to perform his/her role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he/she works in carrying out the Superintendent’s expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
School Act, Sections 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 11
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Funding Manual for School Authorities
Updated: March 2017