AP 454.1 - Role of Financial Services Supervisor
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Financial Services Supervisor will assist the Secretary Treasurer in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Financial Services Supervisor is directly responsible and accountable to the Secretary Treasurer.
The Financial Services Supervisor will have specific responsibilities for:
- Finance Services Leadership
- Provides support for leadership in all matters related to Finance Services.
- Provides support for the professional development and certification requirements of Finance Services staff.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual Division budget and the revised Division budget as directed by the Secretary Treasurer.
- Human Resources Management
- Has general responsibility for the day-to-day supervision of Finance Services staff.
- Ensures job descriptions are developed and updated, and evaluation processes are implemented for direct reports, in accordance with procedures established by the Associate Superintendent (Human Resources).
- Finance Services Management
- Manages the daily financial operations of the Division.
- Acts as system administrator for the Division financial software system, maintaining the integrity of the system including creating/changing/deleting users as necessary, providing ongoing support to all users, and evaluating the need for system enhancements or changes.
- Assists in the preparation of department/school budgets in the Division, as required by the Secretary Treasurer.
- Prepares monthly financial reports for department budgets in the Division.
- Answers inquiries from schools and other departments regarding their financial reports; prepares journal entries to amend the record, as required.
- Conducts annual audits of school-generated funds for selected schools and prepares a written report on the selected schools’ compliance with Administrative Procedures and audit requirements; conduct reviews of actions on prior year audits.
- Completes the annual Charitable Donation Return for review of the Secretary Treasurer and submission to the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Assists the Secretary Treasurer in the preparation of a quarterly statement of revenues and expenditures for the entire Division.
- Assists the Secretary Treasurer in the preparation of the annual financial statements and the coordination of the interim and annual audits.
- Oversees reconciliation, on a continuous basis, of all general ledger asset and liability accounts.
- Assists the Secretary Treasurer in the provision of a cash flow analysis for the Division’s general account, as required.
- Assists the Secretary Treasurer with the maintenance of the insurance program for the Division.
- Ensures the timely collection of student enrolment data.
- Administers trust and scholarship funds within the Division.
- Acts as the Division GST resource person; monitors all transactions ensuring the appropriate GST legislation is being adhered to; and prepares quarterly GST returns.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Administrative Procedures
- Participates in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal and Board mandates and timelines and adherence to the Secretary Treasurer’s directives.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal and external communications are developed and maintained in her area of responsibility.
- Ensures staff have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided and the responsiveness of the department.
- Secretary Treasurer Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Secretary Treasurer.
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board's roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy, and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides the information which the Secretary Treasurer requires to perform her role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom she works in carrying out the Secretary Treasurer’s expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
School Act, Sections 60, 61, 113, 116, 117
reedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Funding Manual for School Authorities