Administrative Procedure 456
AP 456 - Role of the Executive Assistant to the Superintendent
Guided by the Division’s mission statement, vision, mandate, beliefs and values, the Executive Assistant to the Superintendent will assist the Superintendent in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Executive Assistant to the Superintendent is directly responsible and accountable to the Superintendent.
The Executive Assistant to the Superintendent will have specific responsibilities for:
- Superintendent Support
- Provides general administrative support to the Superintendent.
- Fields initial inquiries to the Superintendent’s Office.
- Prepares and communicates decisions within areas of responsibility.
- Processes correspondence for the Superintendent, including filing and archives of information.
- Assists the Superintendent in the final review of the Three Year Education Plan/Annual Education Results Report.
- Attends all Administrators’ Association meetings; compiles action sheets, notes, minutes and feedback for distribution to members.
- Compiles Superintendent’s Report to the Board and Administrators’ Association.
- Provides administrative support for and attends the Superintendent Evaluation workshop.
- Attends Board meetings when required and provides support as necessary.
- Reviews, approves and organizes distribution of community materials to schools.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Assists the Superintendent with executive budget management.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Prepares the Superintendent’s monthly expense statement.
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, development and implementation of the International Student Program
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal, Ministerial and Board mandates and timelines, and adherence to Superintendent directives.
- Contributes to a Division culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies, and supports crisis management efforts in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Organizes, maintains and updates the Superintendent’s calendar.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Board policy within areas of responsibility.
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and Administrative Procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal and external communications are developed and maintained within areas of responsibility.
- Provides general assistance for special events for staff, schools and community.
- Superintendent Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Superintendent.
- Respects and honours the Board’s and Superintendent’s role and responsibilities, and facilitates the implementation of those roles.
- Provides information which the Superintendent requires to perform his role in an exemplary fashion.
- Personal Qualifications
- Models high standards of ethical conduct and a commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Represents the Division in a positive, professional manner.
- Maintains a professional attitude and appearance.
- Demonstrates an ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Deals effectively with the public in a timely and courteous manner.
- Models excellent time management skills and an ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Recognizes the sensitive and confidential nature and impact of situations on the Division and seeks input and direction from the Superintendent as required.
- Demonstrates willingness and the ability to face sensitive employee relation situations and takes the appropriate action.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters pertaining to the Division and its operation.
School Act, Sections 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117
Employment Standards Code
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Labour Relations Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act