Administrative Procedure 500
AP 500 - Annual Budget Development Process
The budget reflects the annual goals and objectives set for the division by the Board. The division has adopted the principles and practices of school-based decision-making.
- The Superintendent, with the assistance of Secretary-Treasurer, has the responsibility to prepare budget development procedures for approval by the Board.
- The budget will be aligned with the goals, priorities and desired outcomes in the division’s Three-Year Education Plan.
- The Secretary-Treasurer will develop and present budget assumptions to the board prior to February 28 of the applicable budget year.
- The budget will be prepared based on needs identified with the Division. Funds will be allocated to each department/school to meet their needs within available resource.
- The Secretary-Treasurer will meet with the Associate Superintendent. HR to prepare staffing allocations to be included in the budget by April 30 prior to the applicable budget year.
- The Secretary-Treasurer will meet with the Associate Superintendents, department supervisors, and Directors of Learning to develop and solve a preliminary needs-based budget for their area of responsibilities by March 31 prior to the applicable budget year.
- The Secretary-Treasurer or designate will meet with each school principal and advise them with the development of a preliminary needs-based budget while shall be submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer for inclusion in the division budget by March 31 prior to the applicable budget year. The principal should consult with his/her school council prior to this meeting.
- The Secretary-Treasurer and Superintendent will present the annual balanced operating budget to the board prior to May 31 of the applicable year, along with staffing recommendations, use of operating and/or capital reserves, along with any proposed change to the program. This date may be extended to June 30 based on direction from the Province.
- The approved operating budget will be posted on the website and submitted to Alberta Education in accordance to their guidelines.
School Act, Section 60, 78, 147
Cross Reference: Policy 2 – Role of the Board
Policy 12 – Role of the Superintendent/CEO
Updated: March 2017