Administrative Procedure 543
AP 543 - Smoke/Tobacco-Free Environment
A smoke/tobacco-free environment is important for the health and welfare of students, employees, visitors and other users of any of the facilities in Palliser Regional Schools. All division premises and vehicles and all school-sponsored activities will be smoke- and tobacco-free, which includes vaping.
- All division buildings, vehicles and grounds are designated smoke/tobacco-free, which includes vaping.
- The principal shall ensure that all students, staff, parents, visitors and community user groups are made aware of the smoke/tobacco-free requirement.
- Supervisors/site managers shall inform their staff members that the use of tobacco is prohibited in or on division-owned property.
- Appropriate signs illustrating the no smoking expectations shall be prominently displayed in all division buildings.
- Any student or staff member that is in violation of these procedures will be dealt with in accordance with the disciplinary practices established within the division. Use of school facilities by user groups shall be subject to cancellation for contravention.
- Principals shall ensure that:
- Educational programs are implemented that present the hazards of tobacco use and secondhand smoke; and
- Students do not possess or use tobacco products in school buildings, on school property or during school-sponsored trips or activities off campus.
School Act, Section 12, 45, 60
Updated: September 2017