PERMANENT FULL-TIME TECHNOLOGY SERVICES HELP DESK ASSISTANT
Location: Palliser Education Center
Competition #: 13044
Open To: Both internal and external candidates
Date Posted: April 7th, 2021
Closing Date: April 21st, 2021 - 2:00pm
Job Start Date: April 26th, 2021
Palliser School Division is a public school jurisdiction located in southern Alberta. The geographical area stretches from just south of Lethbridge to the Bow River south of Calgary. Palliser Centre houses the Central Office Administration, Maintenance and Transportation and is located in the City of Lethbridge. The division offers full public education services to approximately 8600 students ECS through Grade 12 in 50 schools, including 2 alternative Low-German Mennonite programs, 10 alternative Faith-based schools, 17 Hutterite colony schools, Palliser Beyond Borders, the Calgary Islamic School (Akram Jomaa Campus, Omar Bin Al-Khattab Campus, and Horizon Leadership Academy) and the Palliser Alternative Outreach School in Calgary. Nine of Palliser’s alternative faith-based schools are located in the City of Calgary.
Palliser’s approved operating budget for the 2021/22 school year is 85 M. The division prides itself on a history of excellence in education, strong community support, proactive planning and, most importantly, high student achievement.
The Technology Services Help Desk assistant manages the system inventory and offers support and technical assistance to staff, students and parents who are using Palliser-provided services and hardware. Specific responsibilities will be identified, using this list as a guide, by the Associate Superintendent of Learning Services based on needs in the Technology department.
This permanent full-time position will start April 26, 2021, or date that is acceptable for the successful candidate and Palliser School Division.
Help Desk Skills and Qualifications
- Strong computer skills and the ability to troubleshoot and diagnose problems;
- Familiarity with both PC and Chrome OS hardware and software;
- Experience with Google environment;
- Good customer service skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively to help staff and students fix their issues and feel satisfied with the experience;
- Writing and editing skills to aid in writing and updating manuals;
- Education in computer repairs and how to troubleshoot problems are an asset;
- Able to work as a part of a team.
- Manage and ensure accuracy of technology services inventory system;
- Equipment management (ordering/purchasing/receiving and online inventory data entry);
- Create and assign tickets within the Technology Services system;
- Manage and create Division Google accounts;
- Manage and create Division email groups;
- Serve as first point of contact for staff seeking technical assistance via chat, email, or phone;
- Providing the first level of technical assistance for questions and problems;
- Direct unresolved issues to the next level of support personnel;
- Following up with students and staff to ensure full resolution of issues;
- Training other staff members on troubleshooting and diagnosing problems;
- Requesting feedback and/or monitoring calls and other methods of correspondence to improve training methods;
- Writing, editing, and revising documents;
- Running reports to analyze common complaints and problems;
- Remotely accessing hardware or software for staff and students to make changes and fix problems;
- Central Office Room booking technical support (A/V configuration, assist with room equipment, etc).
Interested candidates are asked to submit their documents through the “Human Resources” link on The Palliser School Division website at:
The following attachments should accompany the online submission:
- Cover letter directed to Tom Hamer, Associate Superintendent (Learning Services);
- Resume summarizing training and experience;
- Copy of your most recent evaluation;
- Minimum of three professional references.
The successful applicant hired will be required to provide a recent Criminal Record Check (completed within the past 3 months) including the vulnerable sector as a condition of employment.
The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate pool is found; however, applications received on or before April 21, 2021, are assured careful consideration.
Any questions regarding the application process should be directed to Tom Hamer, Associate Superintendent, Learning Services, at email@example.com.
In the event you require assistant with making application, please contact Marliss Norlin, Executive Assistant, HR, at (403) 328-4111 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all those who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.