FULL-TIME TEMPORARY - MAKING CONNECTIONS WORKER - PALLISER SCHOOL DIVISION
Location: Palliser Education Center
Competition #: 13333
Open To: Both internal and external candidates
Date Posted: June 9th, 2021
Closing Date: June 16th, 2021 - 2:00pm
Job Start Date: August 25th, 2021
Job End Date: June 29th, 2022
Palliser School Division is a public school jurisdiction located in southern Alberta. The geographical area stretches from just south of Lethbridge to the Bow River south of Calgary. Palliser Centre houses the Central Office Administration, Maintenance and Transportation and is located in the City of Lethbridge. The division offers full public education services to approximately 8600 students ECS through Grade 12 in 51 schools. This includes 4 alternative Low-German Mennonite programs, 10 alternative Faith-based schools, 17 Hutterite Colony schools, Palliser Beyond Borders, the Calgary Islamic Schools (Akram Jomaa Campus and Omar Bin Al-Khattab Campus), Horizon Leadership Academy, Palliser Alternative Outreach School and the National Sport School in Calgary. Palliser’s alternative faith-based schools are primarily located in the City of Calgary.
Palliser’s approved operating budget for the 2021/22 school year is 85 M. The division prides itself on a history of excellence in education, strong community support, proactive planning and, most importantly, high student achievement.
Palliser School Division invites applications for the position of Full-Time (1200 annual hours), Temporary Making Connections Worker, commencing August 25, 2021, to June 29, 2022. The successful applicant will work in conjunction with the Family School Liaison Counsellors in Coaldale, AB.
Reporting to the Director of Learning, the Making Connections Worker will support, guide, advocate and assist students and their families who are facing extra challenges and barriers in various aspects of life. The goal is to enhance well-being in our students and their family's lives. The Making Connections worker will also deliver and support the implementation of mental health programming for students in grades Kindergarten to Twelve.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver Mental Health programming and early intervention in a classroom setting;
- Provide support for children, youth and families to enable them to build skills and knowledge required for forming positive relationships at school, home and in the community;
- Liaise families to community resources (including phone calls, meetings, transportation) and improve knowledge of and access to effective services and supports within the community;
- Liaise and advocate for Families with the school administration and community;
- Assist children and their families in accessing appropriate services when a crisis arises.
Qualifications and Work Experience:
Preference will be given to individuals with any or all of the following:
- A related post-secondary degree or diploma in psychology, social work or similar;
- At least 2 years working experience in mental health or health/human services related role (experience as a practicum student considered);
- Experience in an educational setting, with children and adolescents;
- Excellent communication skills & interpersonal skills;
- Experience working with community agencies and organizations;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Appropriate insurance coverage to transport children and families.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their documents through the “Human Resources” page of the Palliser Regional Schools website at:
The following attachments should accompany the online submission:
- A cover letter directed to Shane Cranston, Director of Learning;
- Resume summarizing training and experience;
- Minimum of three professional references.
The successful applicant hired will be required to provide a recent Criminal Record Check (completed within the past 3 months) including the vulnerable sector as a condition of employment.
The competition will remain open for application until a suitable candidate pool is found, however, applications received on or before 2:00 pm, June 18, 2021, will be given careful consideration.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact:
Shane Cranston, Director of Learning (403) 485-0074 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions regarding the application process should be directed to Marliss Norlin, Executive Assistant, Human Resource Services at email@example.com
We thank all those who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.