PRINCIPAL - HORIZON LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
Location: Horizon Leadership Academy
Competition #: 7959
Open To: Both internal and external candidates
Date Posted: March 22nd, 2019
Closing Date: Open Ended
Job Start Date: August 26th, 2019
Job End Date: June 30th, 2020
With its central office in the City of Lethbridge, Palliser is a unique public school division serving 8,100 students, ECS through Grade 12, in 51 schools, including 5 outreach programs, 2 alternative Low-German Mennonite programs, 11 alternative Faith based schools, 17 Hutterite colony schools and one on-line school. Ten of Palliser’s alternative faith based schools are located in the City of Calgary. The operating budget for the 2018-19 school year is approximately $96.35 M.
The Division takes pride in serving many diverse school communities across Southern Alberta. We believe diversity is one of our greatest strengths. Palliser is deeply committed to providing learning environments that are safe, caring, inclusive and responsive to the needs of our students.
Palliser Regional Schools invites applications for a probationary 1.0 FTE full-time Principal at Horizon Leadership Academy commencing August 26, 2019 to June 30, 2020. This assignment may be extended beyond the 2019/2020 school year pending a successful evaluation.
Horizon Leadership Academy is currently a Kindergarten through Grade 9 School serving approximately 164 students. The school is located in the southwest part of the City of Calgary. The Horizon Leadership Academy strives to develop an enriched learning community that promotes academic achievement, leadership, Arabic Language and Islamic values.
For more information about the school please visit the Horizon Leadership Academy website at:
As a member of the Administrative Council, the successful candidate will be a highly motivated educator possessing the following characteristics:
- Demonstrated experience as a very successful teacher;
- Proven ability as an effective educational leader and school-based administrator;
- A collaborative, team-oriented leadership style and ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to foster a student-centered school through the development of positive relationships with students and staff, parents, society and other stakeholders;
- Well-developed interpersonal communication and organizational skills;
- Successful experience developing and extending community partnerships, and involving parents and the community in school programs, activities and services;
- Knowledge and experience regarding instructional leadership, including supervision and evaluation practices and methods;
- Familiarity with current trends, initiatives and directions relating to curriculum, technology, learning styles and student assessment; and
- Post-graduate training in the areas of administration, leadership or instruction is considered an asset. Minimum of Bachelor of Education Degree and valid teaching certificate are required.
The successful candidate will work in a team environment that implements the school’s vision of profound learning through a Muslim world view. It is not necessary for the successful candidate to be of the Islamic faith, however the successful candidate must be comfortable working in Profound Learning and a Faith-Based context. To support the Faith-Based Vision of the school and the Society (Horizon Academy Institute), the following are considered assets:
- A commitment to Islamic education and the ability to challenge students to Islamic learning and living;
- Moderate, ethical, spiritually-centered and objective-based Islamic understanding and practice;
- An ability to lead in the establishment and maintenance of a wholesome, spiritual, emotional and professional atmosphere that characterizes the school as an Islamic school.
- An ability to provide leadership for the advancement of Islamic education by articulating an educational vision to the school staff, to the Society, and to the general Islamic community.
- The ability to support the commitment of the Society, ensuring a continuing commitment to implement and carry out the HLA Vision Statement, HLA Mission Statement and HLA Values Statement.
The Division: www.pallisersd.ab.ca
The School: https://www.horizonelementary.ca/
Interested candidates are asked to submit their documents through the “Human Resources” page of the Palliser Regional Schools website at:
The following attachments should accompany the online submission:
- Cover letter directed to Michael Nightingale, Deputy Superintendent, Human Resource Services;
- Resume summarizing training and experience;
- Copy of your most recent evaluation;
- Minimum of four recent professional references.
The successful applicant hired will be required to provide a recent Criminal Record Check (completed within the past 3 months) including the vulnerable sector as a condition of employment.
The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found; however, applications received on or before April 8, 2019 are assured careful consideration.
Any questions regarding the ad, the school, or the position, should be directed to Michael Nightingale at:
Any questions regarding the application process should be directed to Marliss Norlin, Executive Assistant, Human Resource Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all those who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Central Office administration, principals and vice-principals