FULL-TIME PERMANENT - OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY COORDINATOR - PALLISER EDUCATION CENTER
Location: Palliser Education Center
Competition #: 8801
Open To: Both internal and external candidates
Date Posted: June 12th, 2019
Closing Date: June 26th, 2019 - 2:00pm
Job Start Date: August 1st, 2019
Palliser Regional Schools is a public school jurisdiction located in southern Alberta. The geographical area stretches from just south of Lethbridge to the Bow River south of Calgary. Palliser Centre houses the Central Office Administration, Maintenance and Transportation and is located in the City of Lethbridge. In addition, a satellite Maintenance Shop has been set up in the Town of Vulcan. The division offers full public education services to approximately 8100 students ECS through Grade 12 in 51 schools, including 5 outreach programs, 2 alternative Low-German Mennonite programs, 11 alternative Faith based schools, 17 Hutterite Colony schools, an on-line school, Palliser Beyond Borders, the Calgary Islamic School (Akram Jomaa Campus and Omar Bin Al-Khattab Campus), Palliser's newest school, Horizon Leadership Academy, and the Palliser Alternative Outreach School in Calgary. Ten of Palliser's alternative faith based schools are located in the City of Calgary. Palliser's approved operating budget for the 2018-2019 school year is approximately $96.35M. The division prides itself on a history of excellence in education, strong community support, proactive planning and, most importantly, high student achievement.
Palliser Regional Schools invites applications for a Permanent Full-Time Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator, commencing August 1, 2019. This position provides OHS leadership through the development, implementation and maintenance of the school division’s safety program according to the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations and Code.
Reporting to the Secretary Treasurer, the Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator will:
- Develop, maintain and support the OHS program and associated documents; provide advice on all matters regarding interpretation and compliance with safety legislation and Division administrative procedures; report on OHS and facilitate an annual review to ensure continuous improvement.
- Participate in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of administrative procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Manage the OHS program through web based applications and other technological means.
- Facilitate the standardization and implementation of hazard assessments, safe work procedures, code of practices, safety equipment, personal protective equipment and incident reporting.
- Coordinate, facilitate and conduct employee safety orientation, safety meetings, seminars and training. Implement systems to track training activities and the collection of program completion certificates and records.
- Develop a system and participate in inspections of all division facilities at appropriate intervals to identify potential hazards and determine that procedures, equipment, and facilities meet accepted occupational health and safety standards.
- Investigate and analyse hazard reports, safety concerns, work refusals, incidents and injuries and makes recommendations for future prevention.
- Develop and maintain the Division’s emergency response plan. Handle emergencies and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented fashion.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Secretary-Treasurer.
Qualifications, Education, Experience and Skills:
- Alberta Class 5 Motor Vehicle Operators' Licence;
- Three (3) to five (5) years related experience;
- Thorough knowledge and application of occupational health and safety legislation, fire code, building codes and indoor air quality standards;
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to perform complex tasks using own initiative and using considerable judgement;
- Ability to collaborate with all internal and external stakeholders while maintaining. professionalism.
- Graduate of a recognized health and safety program;
- Occupational Health and Safety related professional designation or working towards e.g. Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Certified Health and Safety Consultant (CHSC), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH);
- Proficient in Google Suite web-based applications;
- Experience in an education/school board setting.
For more information about Palliser Regional Schools, visit the Division Website at:
Interested candidates are asked to submit their documents through the “Human Resources” page of the Palliser Regional Schools website at:
The following attachments should accompany the online submission:
- Cover letter directed to Dexter Durfey, Secretary-Treasurer;
- Resume summarizing training and experience;
- Copy of your most recent evaluation;
- Minimum of three professional references.
The successful applicant hired will be required to provide a recent Criminal Record Check (completed within the past 3 months) including the vulnerable sector as a condition of employment.
The competition will remain open for application until a suitable candidate pool is found, however, applications received on or before 2:00 pm, June 26, 2019, will be given careful consideration.
If you have any questions regarding the assignment or school, please contact:
Dexter Durfey, Secretary-Treasurer at:
Should you have questions regarding the application process, please contact Marliss Norlin, Executive Assistant, Human Resource Services at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all those who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.