The human sexuality components in components in the Health and Life Skills provincial curriculum will be taught in division schools subject to the following administrative procedures.
- Prior to offering any part of the human sexuality component to students, principals must provide parents an opportunity to become familiar with the curriculum and resources to be used.
- Parents shall be given the choice as to whether or not to have their child/children participate in the program. Parents who choose to have their child/children excluded from the program will complete the Human Sexuality Instruction Exclusion Request Form for Students which is available in all division schools.
- Suitable educational alternatives will be provided by the school for those children who do not participate.
- The selection of the teacher for this strand will be done with sensitivity.
- The use of community resource personnel (e.g., health unit) trained or knowledgeable in this area is encouraged.
- Any changes or additions to the approved human sexuality strand must receive written approval from the Superintendent.